A delicious and sweet veggie packed breakfast even the kids will love! Vegan Carrot Cake Pancakes!
Holiday foods, when you’re a food blogger, don’t actually happen on the holidays. They happen several days to even several months before the holiday to ensure that you wonderful readers have the chance to get your hands on the recipe in time for your holiday celebration. Because of this and with Easter right around the corner, we have been eating carrot-all-the-things for a few weeks now. I’ve made a carrot smoothie, a carrot cake smoothie bowl, the Roasted Carrot & White Bean Pâté that I shared earlier in the week and finally Vegan Carrot Cake Pancakes. All 4 of these recipes were delicious and kid approved, but the biggest hit were these pancakes! It’s not often that my kids eat vegetables for breakfast and I’m guessing the same is true in your house. These delicious sweetly spiced pancakes are a perfect way to sneak in those veggies before they even realize what’s happening!
These Carrot Cake Pancakes are loaded with carrots, walnuts, and coconut for a healthy dose of nutrition. They are fluffy and moist and I promise your kids won’t mind eating veggies for breakfast if you serve them this way!
I did make a sweet cashew cream cheese to top them off…along with maple syrup…and to be honest, it was way to0 sweet for my taste with both of those toppings. I love the sweet cashew cream cheese on it’s own, but it was a bit too much all together. Of course, the kids loved it all, but I did make them try a pancake first without any topping at all and they liked it that way too. Soooo, if you like your pancakes to be very sweet, try it all together. Otherwise, just drizzle these beauties with a little maple syrup or just a tbsp of the sweet cashew cream cheese.
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ cup coconut water
- ½ cup non dairy milk (I used soy, almond would work well, too)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked for 3-4 hours or overnight
- ¼ cup coconut water
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- For the pancakes:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and shredded coconut.
- In a another bowl, whisk together the coconut water, non dairy milk, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Add the shredded carrots to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir to to combine.
- Add the chopped walnuts and stir again.
- Over medium heat, in a non-stick pan (or using a light spray of oil in a regular pan), use a ⅓ measuring cup and pour the pancake batter into the pan.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on the first side or until the pancake can easily be flipped.
- Cook another 2-3 minutes on the second side. Repeat with remaining batter.
- For the Sweet Cashew Cream Cheese (if using):
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and puree until smooth. Pour into a small bowl and let sit for a few minutes to thicken.
- Serve the pancakes garnished with chopped walnuts, shredded coconut, Sweet Cashew Cream Cheese and/or a drizzle of pure maple syrup.