Easy Vegetable Fried Rice in less than 30 minutes! And it’s so good!
Easy Vegetable Fried Rice
Chinese take-out used to be one of our favorite treats when we decided to splurge and order food. The more and more I ate it and started to pay attention though, I realized it didn’t really taste all that great after all. Way too salty, too greasy and too slimy. Yuck! I wanted to create something to satisfy our cravings without ruining our healthy eating habits. This homemade fried rice was a big winner with the hubby and kids and we ended up eating it 3 times in one week when I first developed the recipe. I hope you enjoy this Easy Vegetable Fried Rice recipe as much as we do!
Use Leftover Rice
Leftover rice works best, so if you don’t have any leftover, make some quickly in the morning (I’ve used minute rice before and it works great!) and then it all comes together easily in one pan when you are ready for dinner! This recipe makes a a lot because we tend to eat it by itself…not on the side of something. It can easily be halved, if you wish.
Oh man, I am totally craving this AGAIN as I type this up! Yum! And you’ll be happy to know, this fried rice recipe is OIL-FREE!! That’s right, FRIED RICE that’s oil-free…unheard of, right?! Well, technically, it’s not fried at all, so I guess that’s a bit misleading, but I promise you won’t need your Chinese take-out fix after trying this HOMEMADE version!
30 Minutes or Less
Want to know how to get this delicious flavorful Easy Vegetable Fried Rice dish on your table in less than 30 minutes? Here you go:
- 4 cups leftover cooked brown rice
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup snow peas, halved if you prefer (I do!)
- 3 green onions, diced
- ½ cup sweet green peas
- 3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce (use tamari to ensure this is a gluten free dish)
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce (here is a gluten free option)
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- a few shakes of sriracha
- 1-2 tsp sesame oil, optional
- Whisk together the tamari, hoisin, rice wine vinegar, garlic, ginger, and sriracha in a small bowl or measuring cup and set aside.
- In a hot skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 tbsp of water, cabbage, pepper and snow peas. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, just to start to soften. You want the veggies to retain their fresh flavor and still give a nice crunch, so don't overcook!
- Add the green onions and sweet peas and cook another minute while stirring.
- Add the sauce to the veggie and stir to coat.
- Add the rice and stir until evenly coated in the sauce. Continue cooking a few minutes to heat through.
- Take off heat and finish with a drizzle of sesame oil if desired.
- Serve with a few more dashes of sriracha if you like the heat!
You might also like: