A thick, creamy, hearty and delicious potato soup loaded with veggies. Grab a spoon and dig in to this Creamy Dairy Free Potato Soup with Kale.
I think you know by know how much I love soup. I could seriously eat it every day. This is another really easy one that comes together quickly. Keep reading to see how I made this Creamy Dairy Free Potato Soup with Kale so thick and rich!
Perfect for Leftover Veggies
This potato soup came about because I had a bunch of veggies sitting around that needed to be used up. The easiest way to use up any veggie is to throw it in a soup. I didn’t even intend for this to become a blog recipe, but it turned out so amazingly delicious, that I knew I had to share it with you guys!
I used celery, carrots, and corn in addition to the potatoes and kale, but you can throw in whatever you like. Broccoli, turnips, and peas would all be great choices as well.
Creamy Dairy Free Potato Soup
Most potato soups use heavy cream to thicken it up, but not this recipe! Though I did add a bit of full fat coconut milk just before serving, the thickness comes from the vegetables themselves! After simmering the soup, I purée about 1/4 – 1/3 of it with an immersion blender. You can purée more if you like a smoother texture…or less (or even none) if you like it really chunky. The coconut milk is an optional ingredient…you don’t need it to make the soup creamy, however, I do think it lends a little something extra to the flavor and I highly recommend using it!
Blast from the Past
I remember my mom making potato soup quite a bit when we were growing up. I really have no clue what she put in there except for one thing…celery salt! And, we sprinkled more on our individual bowls right before we ate. Delicious! So, for me, celery salt is a necessary flavoring for potato soup! I also used dill because I think dill and potatoes were just meant to go together. And what soup is complete without a few dashes of sriracha or hot sauce on top?!
My kids loved this, too, and happily gobbled up second helpings. My pickiest kid eating the most out of the three! If your kids are finicky about eating greens, you can either purée them right into the soup, or just add them to the pot after doling out their servings.
If you make this dairy free potato soup, please leave me a comment below with your feedback. I would also love to see your pics, so snap a quick one and tag me @veggie_inspired #veggieinspired on Instagram or Twitter.
A thick, creamy, hearty and delicious DAIRY FREE Potato Soup loaded with veggies. Grab a spoon and dig in!
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels (or fresh if you have it)
- 4 cups diced potatoes, peeled (about 5-6 medium size)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1/4 cup coconut milk, I used So Delicious Dairy Free Culinary Coconut Milk optional
- a few dashes sriracha or hot sauce
- Sauté the onion and garlic with 1-2 tbsp water in a soup pot over medium heat for about 3 minutes until starting to soften
- Add the carrot and celery and sauté 3-4 more minutes. Add another tbsp or 2 of water if needed so the vegetables don't stick.
- Add the vegetable broth, potatoes, dill, celery salt, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Using an immersion blender , puree about 1/4 - 1/3 of the soup to create a thick creamy base. (alternatively, take about 2 cups of the soup and purée it in a blender and then return it to the soup pot).
- Add the corn and kale, stir to combine and simmer 5 more minutes to heat through.
- Take off heat and add coconut milk, if using.
- Serve with a few dashes of sriracha or hot sauce if desired.
You might also like: