This Black Bean Taco Salad is quick and easy, but full of flavor! The perfect summer weeknight meal.
Summer evenings call for quick dinners that can be on the table with minimal effort. I think we all crave lighter fare and fresh ingredients when the temperatures rise, but that doesn’t mean we want the flavor to be lacking. This Black Bean Taco Salad is fast and easy, light and fresh, and bold and flavorful. Oh, and did I mention it’s also oil free, gluten free and, of course, vegan?!
This healthy salad is a weeknight meal at its best. The salad dressing can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge so it’s ready when you are. It’s also easily customizable to individual tastes. The spice mixture isn’t spicy hot, so it’s perfect for kids too. If you’d like to add more heat, try adding 1/2 tsp of chipotle powder to the black beans or simply drizzle your salad with a little hot salsa. Add in some onions if you like or jicama and feel free to leave out any ingredient you don’t love. An extra squeeze of lime over the whole thing would be delicious too!
I topped this salad with Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas instead of the usual tortilla strips. I loaded them up with flavor and crunch, but you won’t need any oil, making them a healthier and protein packed option.
And this creamy ranch dressing….have you tried it yet? I posted the dairy free dressing recipe the other day because it goes perfectly not only with this vegetarian black bean taco salad, but with pretty much everything else you want to eat too! Yum!
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained (or 1.5 cups cooked black beans)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne, optional
- ¼ cup water
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed, drained and dried really well (or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 head green leaf lettuce, chopped (romaine would be great too)
- 1-2 chopped tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss chickpeas with the chili powder, cumin, salt and cinnamon.
- Place chickpeas on a baking sheet in one even layer and bake for 20-30 minutes, shaking them around ½ way through. Chickpeas should be slightly crunchy...they will continue to crisp up as they cool. Set aside.
- Toss the black beans with all the spices and warm in a pan over medium heat with ¼ cup water. Stir occasionally until warmed through, about 5-6 minutes.
- To assemble the salad, toss the lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, avocado and corn in a large bowl. Plate the lettuce mixture on each individual plate or bowl. Add the black beans to the individual servings and top with the crunchy roasted chickpeas. Drizzle with the Creamy Cumin Ranch Dressing.
Give this yummy black bean taco salad a try today then stop back by to let me know how much you loved it! Or tag #veggieinspired on Twitter or Instagram so I don’t miss your gorgeous creations! Enjoy!