A thick, creamy, hearty and delicious potato soup loaded with veggies. Grab a spoon and dig in to this Creamy Dairy Free Potato Soup with Kale.
I think you know by know how much I love soup. I could seriously eat it every day. This is another really easy one that comes together quickly. Keep reading to see how I made this Creamy Dairy Free Potato Soup with Kale so thick and rich!
This soup came about because I had a bunch of veggies sitting around that needed to be used up. The easiest way to use up any veggie is to throw it in a soup. I didn’t even intend for this to become a blog recipe, but it turned out so amazingly delicious, that I knew I had to share it with you guys!
I used celery, carrots, and corn in addition to the potatoes and kale, but you can throw in whatever you like. Broccoli, turnips, and peas would all be great choices as well.
Most potato soups use heavy cream to thicken it up, but not this recipe! Though I did add a bit of full fat coconut milk just before serving, the thickness comes from the vegetables themselves! After simmering the soup, I puree about 1/4 – 1/3 of it with an immersion blender. You can puree more if you like a smoother texture…or less (or even none) if you like it really chunky. The coconut milk is an optional ingredient…you don’t need it to make the soup creamy, however, I do think it lends a little something extra to the flavor and I highly recommend using it!
I remember my mom making potato soup quite a bit when we were growing up. I really have no clue what she put in there except for one thing…celery salt! And, we sprinkled more on our individual bowls right before we ate. Delicous! So, for me, celery salt is a necessary flavoring for potato soup! I also used dill because I think dill and potatoes were just meant to go together. And what soup is complete without a few dashes of sriracha or hot sauce on top?!
My kids loved this, too, and happily gobbled up second helpings. My pickiest eating the most out of the three!
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels (or fresh if you have it)
- 4 cups diced potatoes, peeled (about 5-6 medium size)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ½ tsp dried dill
- ½ tsp celery salt
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped kale
- ¼ cup coconut milk, I used So Delicious Dairy Free Culinary Coconut Milk optional
- a few dashes sriracha or hot sauce
- Saute the onion and garlic with 1-2 tbsp water in a soup pot over medium heat for about 3 minutes until starting to soften
- Add the carrot and celery and sauté 3-4 more minutes. Add another tbsp or 2 of water if needed so the vegetables don't stick.
- Add the vegetable broth, potatoes, dill, celery salt, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Using an immersion blender, puree about ¼ - ⅓ of the soup to create a thick creamy base. (alternatively, take about 2 cups of the soup and puree it in a blender and then return it to the soup pot).
- Add the corn and kale, stir to combine and simmer 5 more minutes to heat through.
- Take off heat and add coconut milk, if using.
- Serve with a few dashes of sriracha or hot sauce if desired.