Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies – just like the classic cookies you know and love, but with no oil, no eggs, no butter, no refined sugar….and they just happen to be gluten free as well. Try it to believe it!
It’s cookie time!
It’s always cookie time around here. My kids are dessertaholics (that’s a thing, right?). So, we tend to always have sweets of some sort in the kitchen. I like to experiment with flavors and ingredients, like in this Mint Cream Icebox Dessert or these Cinnamon Chickpea Truffles, but this time I decided to go classic. And this Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie does not disappoint!
Kids in the Kitchen
If your kids like to join you in the kitchen like mine do, this easy cookie recipe is a great one for them to help with. It’s your basic measure, dump, stir kind of recipe. Just don’t be surprised if some of your chocolate chips go missing when you look away for a second.
Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
I have a few cookie recipes on the blog already – Gluten Free Thumbprint Cookies are my fave and my Crunchy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies are more a trail mix type cookie, so these are the closest to a classic cookie that I’ve made. The first time I made them, my in-laws happened to be over later in the day. I got a “You should definitely put these on your blog” from my mother-in-law. So, I guess you have her to thank for the fact that I remade them again so quickly to get them just right for you guys. They have crunchy edges with a soft middle that doesn’t fall apart when you take a bite. So good!!
My hubby is hoping these turn up in our kitchen at some point with raisins in them. You could certainly swap the chocolate chips for an equal amount of raisins, but he probably shouldn’t hold his breath for that one. Maybe on his birthday. 🙂
Make This Recipe
We have worked out way through 3 batches of these Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies so far and now it’s your turn. After you make them, be sure to come back and leave me feedback below. And if you’re so inclined, snap a quick pic and tag me @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired on Twitter and Instagram.
- 3 cups certified gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- ¾ cup cashew butter
- ¼ cuppure maple syrup
- ½ cup unsweetened rice milk (soy milk or almond milk should work too)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, coconut sugar and chocolate chips.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the cashew butter, maple syrup, rice milk, and vanilla.
- Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Let the dough sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Using slightly damp hands, form the mixture into balls and flatten into about a 2.5 - 3 inch disc. This makes nice big cookies - just the way we like them. (You may have to re-dampen your hands as you go so the dough doesn't stick).
- Bake the cookies for 11-13 minutes until starting to brown. Let cool on the baking sheet for about 2 minutes before removing them to a cooling rack to continue cooling completely.
- Store leftovers on the counter, loosely covered with plastic wrap or foil.
~I don't recommend swapping out the almond flour for another type of flour. Almond flour helps to keep these cookies moist. It may work with another flour, but the texture will likely be different.
You might also like: